Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lost Opportunities

Yesterday I missed the sunrise of all sunrises. The sky was on fire and I missed it all because I decided it wasn't worth driving for 1 and 1/4 hours each way if I had to be back to work by 9 a.m. It seems I'm doomed to always have diluted sunrises. In order to cheer myself up, today I made my way down to the abandoned railway tunnel at Helensburgh hoping that I could placate myself on a rainy day by photographing the waterfall which cascades down beside the tunnel.


View Helensburgh old train line, tunnels and station in a larger map

Unfortunately, the waterfall wasn't nearly as impressive as I'd expected and there was so much water on the old railway tracks that I was up to my calves in mud in no time. I've since seen the waterfall in full flow and it would probably be worth a return trip as long as I can work out how to get over those sleepers without incident 
An interesting video of the same location

I didn't have the enthusiasm to continue, so headed for Coledale beach to shoot some wave action where I had the pleasure of being swamped by a rogue wave and ended up with water up to my thighs and my gumboots full of water. Luckily I had some spare socks and a towel as it was pretty chilly down there. I was rewarded for my efforts by the appearance of a rainbow on the horizon, or to be more precise, a double one!

No comments:

Post a Comment