Friday, April 26, 2013

The A.N.Z.A.C Tradition

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this was my first attendance at the A.N.Z.A.C Day dawn service and march. Previously I had always been a participant from the warmth of my loungeroom. I was both surprised and chuffed that the turnout was of mammoth proportions. It takes quite a bit of commitment to rouse oneself at 3 a.m in order to make the long trip to the city, particularly those of advanced years and those with young children.

The mood was respectful and nothing occurred to mar the solemnity of the occasion. After the Dawn Service I made my way down to Circular Quay, then returned to the Cenotaph for the commencement of the march at 9 a.m. Quite by accident I positioned myself in a decent spot ( photographically speaking) on the Cenotaph side of George Street which meant that I escaped having to look into the sun as the march progressed.

Diggers who are no longer with us were represented by descendants of all ages marching in their stead.
 
What really impressed me was the spirit which emanated from the old Diggers, some veterans of a number of wars or peace keeping missions. The tenacity which enabled them to partake in such a long and demanding march was sustained I am sure, not only by their sons and daughters who physically supported them but by the spirit of lost comrades. Their courage and selflessness is as evident today as it was when they placed their lives on the line many many years ago.
 "They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them." 

 For our today, they gave their tomorrows

No comments:

Post a Comment