Saturday, August 31, 2013

At Last - A Decent Sunrise

I've been trying for so long to have the energy to make it to a sunrise shoot with the Focus Group. It seems every time I attend one of them the clouds are a no show and every time I decide I'm not going to bother waking at 4.00 a.m I miss out on a doozy. So I recently decided I'd attend every one and I'd eventually be rewarded with something other than a single bright golden orb.
I didn't have much time to set up and I wasn't keen on negotiating the rocks in the dark, even with my head torch. The guys all clambered over the rocks in an endeavour to find their preferred location for a good comp but I was quite happy where I could capture some wave action and a few rocks. Unfortunately I was unable to alter the comp to have a better sky/foreground ratio as the tripod was on a small uneven rock shelf so I had to be happy with what I got.
The base of Sea Cliff bridge is accessible from Coalcliffe at low tide and there are lots of opportunities for reflection shots. Definitely would take a while to milk this location. I was playing around with some processing techniques and the image reminds me of the tonal variations in the work of El Greco which I've always loved. The sky resembles an HDR nightmare but I think I'll definitely revisit the technique.
A sample of El Greco's work below

No comments:

Post a Comment